Monday, December 2, 2013

#positivelypink

Over break, I was at the mall on Black Friday doing what you do on Black Friday...shopping. My mom and I went into a store just to steal a quick look at a pair of pants. On my way out, I was waiting my turn out the door and looked up to see the best thing I could have seen on the other side of the glass door - Kristen Harris.

Kristen Harris was a teacher and mentor of mine in high school. My senior year, I was in a leadership class she was teaching when the school learned that she had been diagnosed with severe breast cancer. My class ended up starting The Harris Project (you can read more about what that is here: http://theharrisproj.weebly.com/what-is-it.html ) where we raised over $8,000 for the Massey Cancer Center in her honor.

Kristen's chemotherapy wrapped up right at the end of October, a huge thing to celebrate.  I'm not home often, so running into her and being able to catch up briefly was a real treat. She is the kind of person that you never see without a smile on her face and she is the among the most kindhearted people I've had the experience of knowing despite what she has dealt with. She's a constant reminder of how thankful we should all be for everything we are blessed with and a shining example of positivity.

Stay #positivelypink .


- Annika Wooton
Miss Butler County 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment