Saturday, January 3, 2015

There's No Place Like Home

Home is a sacred space.

And to be "home" means several things to me. 



See, I was born in Kansas... Two years later, my brother came along. We lived in the Land of Oz until I was five, at which point, my family up and moved to Virginia. This is where I spent K-12 and where I essentially grew up. When faced with the question, "Where is home?," I cannot give a succinct answer.

"If there is one global thing we all share, no matter our race, income, religion or beliefs; it is that we all want a place to call home." - Anonymous

To me, home is where I am at rest. Home is where I can be surrounded by family and friends. Home is where I thrive. Home is where I can let loose but also where I can cry. My home can adapt. My home can easily be my car for a few days while I travel across the state or across the country to be with people I love. Home is where I come to at night to feel safe. 


I know this truly - Home isn't a place, it's a feeling.

Maybe that means being in my own bed. Maybe that means having "family dinner" with my roommates. Maybe that means taking a train 10 hours south just to see my mom smile. Maybe that means turning the corner after a 19 hour drive to see Christmas lights twinkling in my front yard, knowing they were put up just for me. 



I am proud to call both Richmond, Virginia and the State of Kansas my home. At the end of a duration in one place or the other, I am always so eager to return home, but it's a bittersweet moment leaving home, too. Each time, I have built more relationships, memories and ties to a place that add precedence. And again each time, the feeling of being home at the end of the day is overwhelming.

In a little over a week, I will be making the journey back home to Kansas, where I spend the majority of the year. The 19 hour drive is undoubtedly long, but during the passing hours, I am always thankful that for the valuable time I've spent on the break with family and friends and thankful for the community that I am returning to. 



As the next semester begins with the start of the new year, you can be sure to see big things coming from my direction. I have a couple big projects and big goals that you won't want to miss.

Here's to the new year and here's to being home.


Cheers,
Annika Wooton

No comments:

Post a Comment