Sunday, October 12, 2014

Forever Miss Butler County 2014

Yesterday I passed on my title of Miss Butler County to the next deserving young woman, Kiah Duggins. And the new Miss Augusta is Hannah Wagner. It was a beautifully put on pageant and I basically just got to sit back and relax and provide a little filler here and there. 

I wanted to put up my "farewell speech" and accompanying slideshow as well as an "extended version" in type below. It's not your normal farewell speech, but I figured if people had to sit there and listen to me, I wanted to say something important in addition to summarizing my year. 




And the extended version (because I wrote too much and we had to cut it down for the recorded version):

This year has been quite a journey…


And it all started on this very stage.


Since being crowned Miss Butler County, I’ve gotten to be a part of some really cool things and work with some incredible people.


The first order of duty was to be in the Augusta Christmas parade… which was freezing. But I got to meet santa, so it was worth it.


I helped out with a radiothon for CMN that Mix 93.3 ran.


I met the mayor of Kansas City at a Dancing with the KC Stars benefit gala with Abigail Lopez.


I raised money for CMN on National Pancake Day with Mai-Thy Ta at the IHOP in Lawrence.


A group of Miss Kansas contestants and I visited the children’s wing in the Via Christi hospital in Wichita. (Shaelynn and I pretended to duke it out on a sweet video game setup they had there)



I was a model in the Models for Miracles Wichita show.



The Miss Unstoppable pageant had it’s debut competition that I got to be a part of! This was actually one of my favorite events this year. Seriously beautiful and amazing women that are so much more than most people give them credit for.




I spoke to the Lawrence boys and girls club about my speed painting and my platform, more than what you see by way of my friend, Holly, inviting me to join them for class this summer.




I completed the final task of the duke of Edinburgh award with Meagan Johnson and her father, which was surprisingly super fun! I’m notttt and outdoors person, for anyone who doesn’t know that about me.




I also got to meet MISS AMERICA.


Moving on to Miss Kansas - - in June I gave my all in Pratt at the Miss Kansas competition.

I rocked it in the fitness category. I did Speed painting. I wore the gown of my dreams.


And I got top ten.


In addition to that, I was officially awarded the duke of Edinburgh award alongside my friend, Meagan Johnson and my sister queen, Alyssa Marsh. I was also the recipient of the Miracle Maker award for raising the most money for CMN.



I want to thank the people who supported me this year in so many ways – my friends, my family, and my directors.




So Miss Kansas was successful, my year was successful, but I want to speak a little bit more about a bigger picture thing that I’ve been dealing a lot with this year, not only because it’s my platform, but because it’s something I consistently struggle with and I think is a point of conflict for women in the pageant community – being authentically who you are and revealing that pageant girls are more than what you see.


Theresa Vail is a good friend of mine who continues to inspire women daily to embrace who they are even if it defies stereotypes.




I am by no means perfect. But I strive to better myself by surrounding myself with happy, helpful, successful people that I like to call my friends.



And besides,


Real…

Like…

Really good French fries.



And really awesome pin-up curls late one night after long rehearsals at miss k



And like real funny faces with your sunflower princess and her sister backstage.


The privilege of a life time is being who you are.  Asher Roth said “Do your thing. Do it unapologetically. Don’t be discouraged by criticism. You probably already know what they're going to say. Pay no mind to the fear of failure. It's far more valuable than success. Take ownership, take chances, and have fun. And no matter what, don’t ever stop doing your thing.”

I struggled even in this new pageant season in being authentic to myself and it felt awful.

I want to be honest with you all. I want to be myself  and share my stories both the triumphant and the difficult ones and be proud of who I am.

My car is covered in bumper stickers.



I have tattoos, one of which being representative of the friendship I have with my brother. (If you’re squeamish, cover your eyes. Fair warning)



I like to do zombie makeup.


I am an artist.



My point is that the biggest challenge of life is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

Years ago I was a young girl with a world full of dreams. I had no fears of society’s pressures to conform to this or that. I had no apprehension to hide anything that made me distinct amongst the crowds.


Now as a young woman striving to accomplish those dreams, I crave that courage that I once held so freely. I invite you to join me in showcasing your best self; Your authentic self. 

I am so thankful for the opportunities I had this year, the team I worked with, and the strides I made to better myself and better the world I live in.




I am and will always be Miss Butler County 2014, but I am so…so much more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment