Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Hashtag Blessed

This past weekend, I graduated college!!

It took me five years, eleven jobs, fifty college courses, and a village surrounding me that I could not be more blessed to be a part of.

Annika Wooton, Miss Kansas, Miss Kingman County

As I celebrated the completion of my Bachelors of Fine Arts in Design, I found myself surrounded by my friends and family at dinner on Saturday evening. My mom told some specially selected stories she recalled of moments in my life where I exceeded expectations, persevered, and when my creativity and personality shone a little extra. My dad put together a slideshow that was both reflective and hilarious - filled with photos and home videos literally from the first moments I was in this world, through my quirky stages, and into the young woman that I am today. He also showed photos that highlighted my family and friends, as well as certain endeavors I have chosen to champion throughout my life so far.

After my parents shared those awesome memories, the people that filled our upstairs room started sharing stories and sentiments, completely unprompted. I was reminded that I used to be able to sing the entirety of You're a Grand Ole Flag - both verses - and that I would sing it loudly and insistently through long car rides. I was thanked for being a role model for classrooms of underserved children who now refer to me as "Ariel" and write me letters. I saw videos showing how sassy, and creative, and hilarious I was as a child. One of my best friends reminded me that even though I'm somehow always busy when she wants to go get pizza, when she called me in a time of need, I was by her side in minutes.

Family who I've known my whole life and friends whom I've really only just met in recent years, shared stories that shared common themes: compassion; creativity; empathy; and a bold spirit that has never died. 

And yet while I was beaming (and crying) from the words and feelings being shared in that room, what I recognize the most between the lines of the stories -- are the people that lifted me up to be the college graduate and successful woman that I am today.

My Kansas City cousins and aunt who opened up their home to me Christmas Eve and filled the night with carols and laughter; The Huff family who get stronger together, create together, and travel together - always up to a new adventure and a new challenge; Grandma Wooton who taught me fine arts skills years before any of my peers even knew the difference between oil and acrylic paints; Mimi who sat beside me at the piano when I would run off afraid of the "Wild Things" (plants) and Papa who whooped me back into shape and has planted nuggets of wisdom in me from the beginning; My friends who never fail to brighten my world, whether it be a Snapchat streak, late night emergency hugs in the Claire's parking lot, updates from Oman, phone calls with my PIC, chats at the coffee shop, or late nights in the studio; My fairy godmothers who have opened their hearts and homes and minds to me as if with the flick of a wand; My brother who is my twin, my rock, my road trip buddy, my most honest critic, and my best friend; My dad who is the OG Jayhawk and has never failed to help me through any hurdle, task, or challenge I find myself up against and my mom who is never more than a phone call away, helping me with art projects, lifting me up on hard days, and keeping my head on straight through the craziness of college; Both of them - always making me feel loved even when we are far away.

When people ask where I get "it" from, I wish I could transport you to that room Saturday night. Every single person in my family has their own vibrantly creative spirit and individual talents that I have been so blessed to learn and grow from.


So the big question is: What's next?

I am an incredibly self-driven individual. I hold myself to the highest standards, I set some pretty lofty goals, and I work tirelessly to achieve them. I am on the go a majority of the time and sometimes have to literally pencil in to my planner times to sleep and shower. Now that I'm graduated - I don't expect anything to slow down. Yes mom, I did take a nap ;) But I am back to being full speed ahead. 

If you have looked at any of my social media in the past five years at all, you know I am working towards my goal of becoming Miss Kansas. There are just a couple more weeks until the Miss Kansas pageant, so I am in my final preparations for that. I am also working on setting up an online store and online presence for my art so that people may view and purchase my work at an online storefront. Meanwhile, I'm applying for "real life" jobs and am keeping my ears and eyes open for awesome opportunities for the next stage in life. 

Annika Wooton, Miss Kansas, Miss Kingman County

#blessed and #thankful do not even begin to describe how I feel now that the tassel on my grad cap has been turned and I am sitting on my couch with a moment of free time to reflect. I want to give a sappy "thank you" to everyone who has been a part of my journey up through this moment, and a "bear with me" to everyone who wants to stick around through my next crazy adventures. I can promise you that it won't be boring ;)

- Annika Wooton
Fresh College Graduate.
Miss Kingman County.
Jayhawk Alumni.
Illustrator.
Creator.
Artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment